About the Tour
- The Waikiki History and Drinks Walking Tour starts at 4:00 PM and ends at 6:30 PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
- Visitors meet outside at the entrance of Growler, USA on Kapahulu Avenue. Growler, USA has over 80 beers on tap, a selection of wines, cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks. Check out the menu here!
- Our tour ends at Mahina and Sun’s. Mahina and Sun’s is famous for its elevated cocktail menu at the Surfjack hotel located in central Waikiki. See their selection here!
- Booking fees are $35 per person, or $25 per person for Kamaʻaina with a valid Hawaiʻi ID. Visitors pay in advance electronically using our online reservation system.
- Drinks are not included in the price. You will purchase your own drinks at Growler USA and Mahina and Sun’s in order to meet compliance with local liquor laws.
- History and Drink information card, Hawai’i Walks stick sticker, and small appetizers are included in ticket price. Please let us know if you have dietary restrictions.
- All establishments have a wide variety of non-alcoholic drinks and food. We encourage and support all of our sober guests!
- Bring comfortable shoes, hats, and adequate sunscreen
- There is a maximum of 10 people per tour
Description of Waikiki History and drinks walking tour
During our Waikiki History and Drinks Walking Tour, guests will learn about the history, ecology, and nature within the historic Waikiki district in between two stops at local dining establishments for light refreshments. You will walk approximately 1.5 miles from East Waikiki to Central Waikiki, with a stop for refreshments at the beginning and end of the tour.
Learn about the breweries behind the drinks served at our partner locations while taking notes and rating any drinks that you try with your local drinks Tasting ID Card!
Our tour meets at the entrance of Growler, USA, where guests are checked into the tour. Your guide will have on a white Hawaii Walks Hoodie. The location of Growler, USA can be found below or by clicking here. Parking is available at Growler, USA but note that the tour ends in a different location. We recommend taking a Taxi or Uber to the meeting location or reaching it by foot from Waikiki.
Waikiki History and Drinks Walking Tour Itinerary
- 4:00 PM: Meet at the entrance of Growler, USA. We will process your tour ticket at this time and meet at the back of the restaurant.
- 4:05 PM: Each guest can order a drink (not included in tour price) and the tour begins with introductions and an explanation of the tasting and history ID cards.
- 4:30 PM: The tour leaves Growler, USA and heads to Ala Wai where we discuss the history of Waikiki.
- 5:00 PM: We stop inside of the Queen Kapi’olani Hotel to view their portrait room and discuss the history of the Hawaiian Monarchy.
- 5:15 PM: From here we head down Kalakaua Avenue along the beach and discuss the significance of Waikiki and surfing in Hawaiian history.
- 5:30 PM: We stop at the statues of Jonah Kuhio and Duke Kahanamoku to discuss their influence on the history of the region and the perception of Hawai’i abroad.
- 5:45 PM: We explain the significance and history of major hotels (Outrigger, Sheraton) and buildings (International Marketplace) along the walk reviewing major architecture and significant developments over time.
- 6:00 PM: We end the tour at Mahina and Sun’s to enjoy local beverages made by expert bartenders. Your tour guide discusses the modern facts and figures of Hawaii while you enjoy your local drinks.
- 6:30 PM: The tour officially ends and guests are free to leave or stay at Mahina and Sun’s
Things to Bring
The equitorial sun is serious so please plan accordingly! Even in winter months, temperatures can easily top 80 degrees even in the evening. You are required to bring the following:
- Comfortable walking shoes that can protect your feet for walking in sand, on concrete, and in grass for up to 2 hours
- Adequate sun protection. We provide reef-safe sunscreen to use if you forget, but we recommending applying adequate sun protection before the start of the tour.
- A reusable container of water with at least 20 ounces of water inside. It is easy to become dehydrated when walking outdoors, especially if you choose to consuming alcoholic beverages.
- A camera for pictures. We will be passing by many amazing sights. Be sure your camera or phone is fully charged!
- If you choose to drink during this tour, please do so responsibly.
- Responsible drinking would include one drink at the first location and no more than one at the second.
- We reserve the right to ask unruly or inebriated guests to leave the tour without a refund.
- The tour will leave our first location no later than 4:45 PM. Guests behind who do not close their tab at 4:30PM and leave with us will be left behind.
- Please tip your bartenders if you order drinks from Growler, USA or Mahina and Sun’s. Typical tips are 20% of your bill. These can be added in when you close your tab. If you aren’t sure what to tip, please ask your tour guide and they can calculate this amount for you.
All tours are refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival. Cancellations within 24 hours are granted on a case-by-case basis. We understand emergencies and changes happen. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to discuss a late cancellation. Check out our FAQ page for more info.
The History and Drinks Walking Tour has a fully paved path that is accessible with strollers or wheelchairs. However, there are parts where you may need assistance on and off curbs or through some patches of grass or gravel. Please contact us to discuss accessibility concerns and we can modify the tour to ensure all guests can properly access the tour.