About the tour
- Tours are held Sunday and Monday at 4:30 PM
- Tour takes approximately 2 hours and covers 2 miles
- Visitors meet at the Turtle Bay Guidepost
- Booking fees are $30 per person, or $20 per person for Kamaʻaina with a valid Hawaiʻi ID.
- Visitors can pay in advance electronically using our online reservation system, or in cash on site
- Kids 12 and under walk free
- FREE local Mochi Ice cream, FREE sticker and FREE Animal ID and History Card with every purchase!
- Gratuity accepted at the end of the tour, but is not required
- Bring comfortable shoes, hats, and adequate sunscreen
- A maximum 15 people per tour
Our Hawaii Walks Kahuku Point Walking Tour meet up spot is the Guidepost Activity Desk inside of the Turtle Bay resort in the main lobby. The location of the Turtle Bay main lobby can be found here and below on the embedded google maps page. Your tour guide will be there with a hat and shirt that says “Hawaiʻi Walks.” Call or text us as 808-927-8149 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like custom walking directions to be emailed to you ahead of time.
- Our tour leaves from the Turtle Bay Guidepost Activity Desk inside of the Turtle Bay Resort main lobby. We then travel along the iconic Turtle Bay shoreline lined with ancient corals.
- Look for native and introduced birds within the forest along the coast. We will stop at a historic banyan tree where the TV show LOST was filmed.
- Between January and May, visiting humpback whales are common along this coast. Use the Hawai’i Walks binoculars to look for tail flaps and breaches in the distance!
- From here we explore more ironwood paths, using our Bird and Animal ID cards to identify and tally exotic seabirds, invasive mammals, and endangered waterfowl.
- Arrive at Protection Point, the site of a WWII bunker. It was here that the first Japanese airplanes were sighted by soldiers on the point at the start of the attack at Pearl Harbor. Your expert guide will explain the island’s subsequent role in the second World War.
- Enjoy a locally made mochi ice cream break while we watch waves roll in on the most rural and wild stretch of beach on the island.
- Take photographs of the sunset before we head back to the Turtle Bay resort.
Things to bring
The equitorial sun is serious so please plan accordingly! Even in winter months, temperatures can easily top 80 degrees. You are required to bring the following:
- Comfortable walking shoes that can protect your feet for walking in sand, on concrete, and in grass for up to 2 hours
- Adequate sun protection. We provide reef-safe sunscreen to use if you forget, but we recommending applying adequate sun protection before the start of the tour.
- A reusable container of water with at least 20 ounces of water inside. It is easy to become dehydrated when walking outdoors. If you do not have a reusable water bottle, please let us know ahead of time and we will provide one for you filled with cold water.
- A camera for pictures. We will be passing by many amazing sights. Be sure your camera or phone is fully charged!
- The tour is scheduled to last 2 hours, but occasionally due to differing walking speeds, the tour can take up to 2.5 hours. Please plan accordingly.
- NOTE: THERE ARE NO BATHROOMS ON THIS WALK. WE RECOMMEND VISITING THE BATHROOMS WITHIN THE HOTEL PRIOR TO LEAVING THE PROPERTY.
All tours are refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival. Cancellations within 24 hours are granted on a case-by-case basis. We understand emergencies and changes happen. Email us at email@example.com if you need to discuss a late cancellation. Check out our FAQ page for more info. If you booked your tour through a different operator or concierge, please contact them to process your cancellation. We can only provide cancellations booked through our site directly.
The Kawela Bay walk involves a moderate walking pace along sand, gravel, and pavement. If you have accessibility concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We work to be inclusive of all levels of physical ability, but please contact us ahead of time so we may provide necessary accommodations.